Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Train to Nizhny Novgorod

Last night we left Moscow around 11:30pm on the overnight train to Nizhny. The train seemed new and very clean compared to the train we rode in January.

I had trouble sleeping and found myself up around 3:30am staring out the window. Don was sawing zzzs and I was thinking about our Angel. Has she missed us? Does she think about us? Does she remember that we are coming back to get her? Is she scared? Oh, so many questions. One day, I hope she will share her feelings with us.

Around 5:00am, I went to freshen up and brush my teeth. When I came back, Don was awake. We decided to order practice our Russian and order some coffee from the attendant. We weren't sure how to ring her so Don went to find her and place our request.

She came to our compartment and brought us coffee with milk. She giggled when we asked her how much in Russian. We paid her and a few minutes later she came back with granola bars, candy bars, and cookies. We each took something and asked her again in Russian. She giggled again and took a few rubles from us. The coffee and snacks were probably complimentary - oh well at least we made her giggle!

Not long after our coffee, we pulled into the train station. We saw Julia waiting on the platform. The minute I saw her, I got butterflies in my stomach. Wow - this is real, we are really here again and this time we are bringing our Angel home!

We loaded our luggage in Julia's car, picked up a few groceries, and she dropped us off at our apartment. This would be home for the next 18 days.

Julia told us our Angel was at summer camp and did not receive our letter that we were coming. The Director of the orphanage sent a driver to bring her to the orphanage to see us. We would go to see her around 12:30pm. We were filled with excitement and anticipation as we began to unpack and settle in.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Visit My Website

No comments: