Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Judge Said "YES"


We were both up this morning before the alarm went off. Although we prayed about this day, we were nervous. Other than our wedding day, this is probably the most important event in our 13 years of marriage.
Dimitri arrived about 8:15am to prep us for court. We spent about 1 1/4 hours preparing. He told us what to expect and reviewed court questions with us. We decided I would go first. There has been a lot of talk about the judges focusing on the husbands because many are not as involved in preparing the homestudy and dossier as the wives. Both Julia and Dimitri did not feel this was accurate in Nizhny.
We arrived at the court house about 9:50am and our hearing began at 10:00am. I spoke first, after I told "our story" the judge opened it up for anyone in the court room to ask me questions. No one had questions except the lady from "the administration" (I am not sure who she was and will have to get her role clarified). Regardless, her questions were the most difficult. Once the judge was satisfied with my testimony, she told me to sit down and asked Don to stand and tell "his story".
Don's testimony lasted about 30 minutes. Once he sat down, others presented information for the court and then the judge left the room to deliberate. She was gone about 5 minutes. Don and I held hands, actually squeezed hands, and quietly prayed. When she returned, we all stood and she read her ruling. Our adoption application for our Angel was approved by the Nizhny Novgorod Court! No translation needed - we knew exactly what she said!
I don't really know how to explain the emotions that washed over me hearing those words. I asked Don to explain his emotions at the moment - his response was the same. It is just difficult to put it into words. Happiness, joy, relief..........
Here is a photo of me with Julia, Dimitri, and the social worker. We are all happy because the judge said "yes!"
The bottom line, we are thrilled beyond words! Now we begin the 10-day wait. That's 10 working days by the way - we expect to have custody of our Angel September 8 or 9.
Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies.
Psalm 36:5

So, we are here waiting again. But God is so faithful.
Elizabeth

No comments: