Thursday, February 07, 2008

Financial Woes - Being Faithful

We continue to work on our adoption paperwork. Silly me, I honestly thought we were finished with the paperchase awhile ago! That is one thing all adoptive parents must be aware of, the paperchase is an ongoing process. I don't think anyone really emphasized that to us. I compare it to doing your taxes over and over and over and over..... well, you get the picture!

We are trying to remain faithful but my mind drifts to the money issue constantly. I catch myself asking, "How ARE we going to afford this adoption?" I find I have to dismiss this question immediately or I will dwell on the lack of funds for hours. Currently, we need $450.00 for our homestudy re-evaluation and $240.00 travel fee for the social worker to visit us since we live so far from her. Well, this might as well be a million dollars. We just don't have it! And, I really don't know where we are going to get it. Ah, but I am reminded that God provides. And on goes this cycle of mind chatter.

My love of scrapbooking has led me to become a Creative Memories Consultant. I started this business to fund my habit but soon realized I can use the income to save for our adoption. I have a secure website and proceeds from online purchases will be directly deposited into our adoption savings. Check it out at www.mycmsite.com/bethmurray, you might find something you just can't live without. Shop online and help us bring home our little girl.

Since the beginning we have explored money saving strategies (see Pennies from Heaven). Frankly, if I have one more yard sale.... We are now investigating fundraising ideas. We are very interested in any ideas others have found successful. Please share your ideas with us by leaving a comment - thanks in advance!

And God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Phillippians 4:19

Blessings
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have Craigslist in your area? We've sold stuff locally on Craigslist.

I've also sold stuff on Ebay.

Probably a no brainer but hopefully you have applied for adoption grants - (we did but never got any however just might mean more odds that you will! *wink*).

Try putting a link for donation straight to you on your website from Paypal - (you never know someone just might feel lead to donate and voila).

Did you do a "letter campaign" - we mailed letters to our entire church, all our friends, family, co-workers....neighbors...etc. I can email you a copy of the letter we sent to get you started.

Try not to "invest" in something hoping to turn it around for profit. We did this and bought $300 in Adoption=Love bracelets and only sold probably $50 worth.....oops..!

Not that I really encourage it, but we refinanced our house (twice).

Hmmm I will keep trying to remember what we did and what I've heard others doing.

Stay positive - God is on your side - that's HUGE! :o)

Laura