Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Pennies From Heaven

We are still in the "waiting room". Don and I have realized that this delay could be a blessing in disguise. As many of you know, adoption is an extremely costly endeavor. We have saved and saved but it never seems to be enough. We have been operating on faith that God will provide for our adoption and He has. However, we still have many upcoming expenses that we still will need to pay.
I have read many adoption blogs and was surprised to see that several families have established fundraising activities for their adoption expenses. Don and I discussed this and feel we just could not ask anyone for money. Soooooo, I have been thinking and trying to identify ways we can increase our savings. We are already on a budget and watch our spending on eating out and entertainment. Here are some of my new ideas:


  • I decided to try to use coupons and put the money in our adoption savings.
  • I always throw my change in the bottom of my purse, now I am saving it in a jar and will eventually roll it and add it to our adoption account.
  • I am one of those people who have a closet full of nice clothes in many sizes. I am always hoping to be able to wear them again. I have decided to take them to a consignment shop and save the money earned for our adoption. Today, I identified 5 pant suits (1 still has the price tag on), a skirt, and a top that I will be taking to consignment. I have many other outfits but thought this would be a good start. I will let you know how it goes.
  • We have some collectible items and other things that we could sell. I am thinking about putting them on eBay. I have never used eBay and not sure how it works. One of those shops that will sell items on eBay for you just opened up here. Maybe I should stop in there when I take my clothes to the consignment shop. Has anyone ever used one of those stores before?
  • We could always have a yard sale - hhmm - yard sales are not fun in Florida in the summer time. Maybe we'll delay that one until late fall.
  • I could cancel our satellite MLB Baseball package but I think that would cause a lot of stress around the house :-)

Still thinking of more ways. We are interested in money saving ideas that others may have. Please post your suggestions.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. Proverbs 16:9

Blessings,
Elizabeth

1 comment:

Jennefer said...

You have a great start on your blog. I look forward to following your story. Your picture looks very tropical. I like it. I don't have much help in the money savings idea except to check out: The Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Dacyczyn. A great resource into frugality.