Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day and Our Freedom

Last night we took Fred, our exchange student from China, to a minor league baseball game. He thoroughly enjoyed the game, hot dogs, and cracker jacks. We stayed for fireworks after the game. The songs played during the show were all patriotic as well as those dedicated to our armed forces. I found myself wondering what Fred might be thinking. How does this celebration compare to how he would celebrate a national holiday in China?

In chatting with Fred, we have tried to learn about his culture and life in China. I asked him, "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" He looked at me and said, "In China it is illegal to have more than one child." Da, I knew that! But it is a question we Americans ask when trying to get to know someone. We take so much for granted in our country - most of all our freedom.
I cannot imagine not being able to have freedom of speech, religion, or having children!
Lord, I am so grateful for this wonderful country I live in.

By the way, Fred loves ham & cheese sandwiches and Cheez Nips!

We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised. Hebrews 6:12

Praising the Lord everyday!
Elizabeth

2 comments:

Anna said...

This is a very poignant post.

I'm British, and my four years in the States taught me a lot about the wonderful country you live in. I celebrated 4th yesterday with hand-made stars-and-stripes bunting and plenty of themed food over here in England, missing America. I am sure your Chinese friend was touched and moved by the patriotic display. I know I was.

Thank you, and you have my prayers for your adoption process.

bluelikethis.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Keep it blazin out there!