Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day, Patriotism, and Freedom

Isn't this a great picture - I took it at Fort Myers Beach, Florida. Wonderful fireworks this year!
  • I'm not sure when it began but for as long as I remember, the 4th of July has always been an emotional day for me. Perhaps it is related to being so thankful for our freedom. I do believe that many Americans take our freedom and freedoms for granted. One trip to a third world country would be very sobering for many Americans.

For me, watching fireworks and enjoying a cookout with friends and family reminds me of so many things that I am thankful for. Here is a short list:

  • Being Christian and not fearing persecution

  • Being American

  • Feeling secure in my home - not worrying someone will knock in my door and kill my husband or family because of our religious or political beliefs

  • Having religious freedom

  • Flying the American flag

  • Being patriotic

  • Having political freedom

  • Being able to walk down the street without seeing troops with guns slung on their shoulders

  • Enjoying quiet nights without the sound of gunfire

  • Having clean/fresh water to drink and not having to walk miles to get it

  • Having indoor plumbing

  • Having electricity

  • Cooking outdoors for fun not for survival

  • Having a fire in the fire-pit for fun not for survival

  • Having to decide what to wear to work everyday - many people in the world don't have a closet full of clothes

  • Having freedom to blog my thoughts without the government censoring me

  • And much much more - You get the idea.

I am so grateful to live in America. I pray for the people of the world to oneday know the freedoms I take for granted daily.

I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders. I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. Psalm 9: 1, 2

Praising God,
Elizabeth

No comments: